Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Water

In my deepest meditations my mouth sometimes fills with water. The water is warm. My mouth feels soothed and nurtured by it.

Allowing the water to rest in my mouth it feels as though there is a gentle current, almost imperceptible, that connects this water with the liquids of my body, with the water in the air, in the earth, in streams and oceans, with every water molecule everywhere. As though somehow the water in my mouth is both within me and outside of me. As though the water is flowing into my mouth from all of these sources and then returning to them. And again I feel nurtured by it.

The water just appears, is suddenly just present, like a river source hidden deep below a forest pool or gently trickling out from beneath the rocks of a mountain slope. It feels like a gift. When I allow myself to swallow, it feels like a gift returned with gratitude and with connection.