Sunday, August 24, 2008

Finding the Stillness

Another day in paradise. This morning I made it to the porch. I am surrounded by beautiful tropical plants. The air smells rich and ... green?

A gentle thunderstorm is bringing soft rain and distant rumblings. Occasionally a raindrop finds its way onto the porch and splashes my bare legs with its soft, warm, wetness. A summer rain is a gift on an island that depends on rain for much of its water.

Another day in paradise. But it's not paradise because I am in Key West enjoying a lovely summer rain. Every day, every where is a day in paradise if we let ourselves reach out and feel it. If we remember to find the time throughout the day to reach out - to reach in - and find the peaceful paradise of stillness that is there.

Each time I meditate I resolve that I will do that. Every day that passes I forget. Why does my mind resist what is so pleasant, what brings such joy to me? Minutes after I walk away from my peace I find myself embroiled in the every day world. Rushing to this, planning that, unable it seems to stop for even a moment to reconnect. I think I understand why the monks go to their mountains.

But I don’t want to retreat from life. On the contrary, I want to live life. I want to be surrounded by people and places and activity. I just wish I could do that from the center of stillness and peace inside of me, sensing at the same time the stillness and peace which is within everything. That is the challenge.

It would be easier to sit in a cave away from all distraction than it is to create a cave, a haven of peace, around myself in the "real" world.

There are times when I can. Times at the stable. Times with my book club. One on one times with special friends and family. Precious moments when everyone around seems in sync with the need to breath slowly and seize the day. Very precious moments.

However, I don’t think the idea is to do only the things and go only to places where it’s easy to find the stillness, the peace. A greater challenge is to find it everywhere. Sigh. I will try. I will continue to try. No, that’s not right. The stillness is here now. I am in it. I don't have to try, I just have see.